When beach time comes in the summer, many of us start thinking about getting a little healthier. Exercise is a big part of maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle, but many of us don’t do that as much as we should. Exercise often feels difficult and boring, and it can be frustrating not to see the results you want right away. However, there are ways to make it work for you.
Choose the Right Activity
The most important part of exercising is finding out what works for you. If you’re a naturally social person, you may be miserable jogging on a treadmill. Try a Zumba, kickboxing, or yoga class instead. If you like to compete with yourself, you may benefit from treadmills, bikes, and elliptical machines. If you hate being stuck inside, bundle up and take your dog for a brisk jog, or go on a bike ride.
Consult Your Doctor
If you have a health condition or disability, your exercise needs will be different from what’s typical. You’ll also need advice if you’re beginning a new routine or haven’t worked out consistently. Ask your doctor questions like:
- What’s my target heart rate?
- What exercises would you recommend, and for what durations?
- Are there any exercises I shouldn’t do?
Make It Fun
Many people don’t exercise because they find it boring, so you’ll have to determine what makes exercise fun for you. A few ideas are:
- Make a workout playlist
- Use audiobooks
- Involve a workout buddy, whether that’s a friend, family member, or pet
- Set goals like, “I will burn X number of calories this week”
- Reward yourself with a relaxing bath, a small square of dark chocolate, or another healthy incentive